Gas dynamics

Start Date
24/07/2017

End Date
13/10/2017

Enrollment End Date
13/10/2017

No. of
Enrollments
63 students

No course
syllabus uploaded

Created by

Sameen A
IIT Madras
0
out of 5
Based on 0 rating
5 star 0
4 star 0
3 star 0
2 star 0
1 star 0
Course Language
English
Course Type
Scheduled
Video transcripts
Course Category
Engineering
Learning Path
Undergraduate
Course Length
0 Hours
Weekly time commitments
0 Hours
Course Completion
Exam Date
To be announced
Credits
0

0

Tutorial

0

Test

0

Assignment

0

Article

0

Weekly Reading list

Overview

ABOUT THE COURSE
The course introduces compressible flow and its constitutive equations. The physical concepts behind isentropic flows, area-Mach number relation etc will be discussed with practical problems in mind. Properties of shocks and expansions are important parts of this course. All the numerical examples will be in SI units.

For certification, visit and enroll here.


INTENDED AUDIENCE
Undergraduate students of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering

PRE-REQUISITES
Thermodynamics and fluid mechanics 

INDUSTRIES THAT WILL RECOGNIZE THIS COURSE
Aerospace industry

COURSE LAYOUT

Week 1 : Fluids, compressible flow I & II laws of TD Clausius inequality 
Week 2: Control volume analysis Conservation of mass Conservation of momentum 
Week 3: Conservation of energy, Tutorial 
Week 4: Sonic velocity, Wave propagation, Pressure-energy relation 
Week 5: Stagnation concept, Isentropic flows, Stagnation relations, Tutorial
Week 6: Varying area flow Mass, momentum, energy equations Converging nozzle 
Week 7: M* concept, Gas tables, C-D nozzle, Tutorial 
Week 8: Standing normal shocks, Prandtl's relation, Normal shocks in CD nozzle 
Week 9: Rankine-Hugoniot equation, Moving shocks, Tutorial 
Week 10: Oblique Shocks, Theta-Beta-M relation, Shock polar curves 
Week 11: Expansion fans, Prandtl-Meyer flow, Tutorial 

Grading

There will be a total of 12 assignments. Most of the questions will be objective type with/without choices given. Each assignment will have a 10-days deadline from the upload date, which is not flexible. Best 8 out of these 12 assignments will be considered for final grading, which will carry 25% weightage. Remaining 75% will be from final examination.

Certification Exam

 

*The exam is optional for a fee. (Exams will be on 22 Oct 2017).
*Time: Shift 1: 9am-12 noon; Shift 2: 2pm-5pm
*Anyone shift can be chosen to write the exam for a course.
*Registration url: Announcements will be made when the registration form is open for registrations.
*The online registration form has to be filled and the certification exam fee needs to be paid. More details will be made available when the exam registration form is published.

To access the content, please enroll in the course.

Faculty

Sameen A


Prof. A. Sameen 
Department of Aerospace Engineering, IIT-Madras


Research interest: Fluid Mechanics

Current interests: Stability, Transition and Turbulence, Thermal Convection, Quantum Fluids, Magnetohydrodynamics

Homepage 
http://www.ae.iitm.ac.in/~sameen

FAQs

No FAQ has been added to this course yet.

Download App

Download SWAYAM applications from popular app stores