Enrollment End Date
Created byDinesh Gupta
· To make you aware about the concept of management, management theories and application of management in libraries and information centres;
· To make you familiar with management techniques applied to libraries and information centres and knowledge centres; and
· To make you acquainted with the newer areas and techniques of library and information centres management.
· Meaning and scope of management in daily operations of libraries and information centres and also about the long term managerial implications;
· The evolution of management theories and its application to current practice in library and information centres;
· About the Strategic planning, problem-solving and decision-making skills as applied to actual library and/or information services management;
· Articulating the mission and other drivers of a library and information centre in relation to the users they served;
· Utilizing appropriate theory and skills to create an environment of excellence within the library and information services;
· Emphasizing importance of planning, communication, quality, marketing and competitive analysis for the library and information manager;
· Dealing with Aspects of financial planning and management for library and information centres; and
· Identifying the major issues affecting the librarianship, and the management of library and information services.
Week 1: Concept of Management, Principles and Application in L& Centres, and Management Thoughts
Week 2: Change Management and Strategic Planning
Week 3: Operations Research and Planning
Week 4: Total Quality Management and Marketing
Week 5: Governance, Organizational Structure and Different Sections of a Modern Library
Week 6: House Keeping Operations: Selection, Acquisition and Technical Processing
Week 7: House Keeping Operations: Care, Preservation and digitization
Week 8: Human Resources Planning and Development
Week 9: Managerial Roles and Team Management
Week 10: Performance Analysis and Motivation
Week 11: Self Management and Communication
Week 12: Financial Planning and Management
Week 13: Statistics, Reporting and MIS
Week 14: Space, Event and Disaster Planning
Week 15: Management of Technologies
To access the content, please enroll in the course.
Course Syllabus & Schedule
Dinesh K. Gupta is Professor of Library & Information Sc. at Vardhaman Mahaveer Open University, Kota. He served as Member of Standing Committee of IFLA Education & Training Section, 2011-2015, IFLA Management and Marketing Section, 2003-2007 and 2007-2011 and also served as the Chair of the Jury of ‘IFLA International Marketing Award’ in 2009-2013. Served as a Member of the Selection Committee of South Asia LIS Award, 2012-2014. Published three IFLA books by official publisher K. G. Saur/ De Gruyter Saur (Munich, Germany), include:
He is Member of the Editorial Board IFLA Journal (Sage); Annals of Library and Information Studies (CSIR-NISCAIR). He also served as Member of the Editorial Team of the Journal LIbrary Management published from Emerald (2009-13).