Enrollment End Date
Created byKoshy Varghese
This course will cover the basic concepts in Project Planning and Control with a focus on construction projects. The course is relevant to Civil Engineering senior level undergraduate as well as post-graduate students in the area of construction management. Practicing engineers who are part of the planning team on construction projects will also benefit from the concepts covered in the course.
Basic Mathematics with Probability and Statistics
Week 1. Introduction, Course Context, Construction Project Management
Week 2. Time Management, Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), Gantt Charts
Week 3. Duration Estimation, Network Representation & Analysis -1
Week 4. Network Representation & Analysis -2; Two-Span Bridge: Scheduling, Network Analysis and Application
Week 5. Time-Cost Trade-off (Crashing)
Week 6. Resource Scheduling
Week 7. Precedence Diagramming Method (PDM), Project Monitoring & Control
Week 8. Project Monitoring & Control (Earned Value Concepts), Uncertainty in Project Schedules (PERT), Course Summary
(1) Saleh Mubarak, "Construction Project Scheduling and Control". Wiley Publications., 2nd ed., 2010.
(2) Michael T. Callahan, Daniel G. Quackenbush and James E. Rowings, "Construction Project Scheduling". McGraw-Hill, Inc., International Edition., 1992.
(3) K K Chitkara, "Construction Project Management - Planning, Scheduling and Controlling". Tata McGraw Hill Education Pvt Ltd., 2nd ed., 2013.
(4) Kumar Neeraj Jha, "Construction Project Management- Theory and Practice". Pearson Education India., 2011.
(5) BIS, "IS 15883 -1 (2009): Construction Project Management- Guidelines, Part 1: General".
(6) BIS, "IS 15883 -2 (2013): Construction Project Management- Guidelines, Part 2: Time Management".
To access the content, please enroll in the course.
Course Syllabus & Schedule
Dr. Koshy Varghese is a Professor with the Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM). Dr. Varghese earned his Doctoral Degree at the University of Texas at Austin in 1992 and worked as a post-doctoral fellow for a year after which he joined IIT Madras. Dr. Varghese is a pioneer in construction management education and research in India and has taught courses in Construction Planning and Control to undergraduates / postgraduate as well as to industry.