Enrollment End Date
Created bySuman Chakraborty
This is an introductory course in conduction and convection heat transfer. The subject heat transfer has a wide scope and is of prime importance in almost all fields of engineering and biological systems. The course emphasizes the underlying concepts of the conduction and convection modes of heat transfer and enumerates the laws and governing equations relating to the rates of heat transfer, based on derivation from fundamentals. There is a well balanced coverage of physical concepts, mathematical operations along with examples and exercise problems of practical importance. After completion of the course, the students will have a strong foundation on conduction and convection heat transfer and will be able to apply the basic principles, the laws, and the pertinent equations to practical scenarios.
Core Course and students of BE/ME/MS/MSc/PhD can take it.
Basic knowledge of Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics
1. Introduction and Fundamental Concepts
2. Heat Conduction Equation; 1D Steady state Heat Conduction in Plane Wall
3. 1D Steady state Heat Conduction in Cylindrical Geometry
4. 1D Steady state Heat Conduction in Spherical Geometry; Heat Transfer from Extended Surfaces
5. 2D Steady state Heat Conduction in Plane Wall; Unsteady state Heat Conduction - Lumped Analysis
6. 1D Unsteady state Heat Conduction; Unsteady state Heat Conduction in Semi-infinite Medium
7. Review of Fluid Mechanics - I
8. Review of Fluid Mechanics - II
9. Review of Fluid Mechanics - III; Energy Equation
10. Thermal Boundary Layer; Energy Integral Method
11. Internal Forced Convection
12. Natural Convection
To access the content, please enroll in the course.
Course Syllabus & Schedule
Prof. Sankar Kumar Som is currently an emeritus Professor (on re-employment) in the department of Mechanical Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. His field of expertise is thermo fluid sciences. His research interest is combustion science, and in particular, droplet and spray combustion. Apart from guiding 16 doctoral students and publishing more than 100 research papers in peer-reviewed international journals, he has served as principal investigator and chief consultant in several industrial projects with different government and private organizations.