Week 1: Basics of Energy Transformation: Transducers, Sensors and Actuators
Week 2: Understanding of thin film physics: Application in MOSFET and its variants
Week 3: Thin Film Deposition Techniques: Chemical Vapor Deposition (APCVD, LPCVD, UHVCVD, PECVD, ALCVD, HPCVD, MOCVD)
Week 4: Thin Film Deposition Techniques: Physical Vapor Deposition (Thermal Deposition, E-beam Evaporation, Sputtering, Pulsed Laser Deposition)
Week 5: Basics understanding of Photolithography for pattering layer. Detailed overview of Etching methods.
Week 6: Understanding various gas sensors: Optical gas sensor, Metal oxide semiconductor gas sensor, Field effect transistor gas sensor, Piezoelectric gas sensor, Polymer gas sensor, Nano-structured based gas sensors
Week 7: Design and fabrication process of Microsensors: Force Sensors, Pressure Sensors, Strain gauges and practical applications
Week 8: Explain working principles of Actuators. Piezoelectric and Piezoresistive actuators, micropumps and micro actuators with practical applications
Week 9: Understanding basics of microfluidics to assist Photomask design using Clewin Software, pattern transfer techniques, PDMS moulding and degassing, device bonding techniques.
Week 10: Simulation, Optimization and characterization of various sensors using COMSOL Multiphysics
Week 11: Understanding of Sensor Interfacing with Microprocessor to build electronic system
Week 12: Static and Dynamic Characteristic Parameters for Sensors and Actuators, Calibration of Sensor based electronics systems.
BOOKS AND REFERENCES
1. Lecture notes on some topics will be provided by the instructor Pallás-Areny Ramón, and John G. Webster.
2. Sensors and Signal Conditioning Wiley-Blackwell, 2008 Jacob Fraden, Handbook of modern sensors, Springer, Stefan Johann Rupitsch.
3. Piezoelectric Sensors and Actuators: Fundamentals and Applications, Springer, 2018 Senturia S. D.
4. Microsystem Design, Kluwer Academic Publisher, 2001 J.D. Plummer, M.D. Deal, P.G. Griffin
5. Silicon VLSI Technology, Pearson Education, 2001 S.M. Sze (Ed)
6. VLSI Technology, 2 Edition, McGraw Hill, 1988 Madou
7. M Fundamentals of Microfabrication, CRC Press, 1997.